What is the difference between the Linux and Windows operating systems? – If you use a computer, then you must have a good understanding of the Linux and Windows operating systems. Although computers working on many other types of operating systems are made apart from these, but the importance of these two operating systems is greater.
While Linux is an open-source operating system, Windows on the other hand is a licensed operating system. In this article, we will explain to you about Linux and Windows operating systems, what is the difference between Linux and Windows operating systems?
The operating system is most important for any type of computer because it is difficult to imagine any computer without an operating system. It operates and manages all the programs on your computer and its software and hardware.
macOS, Windows, Linux, etc. are the most important operating systems in the computer, which are the most popular and most used. Before knowing or knowing about the difference between Linux and Windows operating systems, it is very important for you to understand what is an operating system?
What is an Operating System?
Actually, the operating system is the most essential software running on the computer, which works to manage the computer’s memory and processes as well as software and hardware. An operating system is considered the most important part of a computer because it allows you to communicate with the computer. If your computer does not have an operating system then it is of no use.
What is the function of operating system?
The operating system manages all the software and hardware of a computer. Or you must be well aware that in any computer there are many different programs running at the same time and all those programs need to access CPU, memory, and storage. The operating system helps to coordinate and run all those programs as required.
If you do not have knowledge of computer programming, then for this you should use a computer with such an operating system, which has an easy user interface and does not require installation.
Difference Between Windows and Linux.
|You have to pay to use the windows operating system.||You can use the Linux operating system for free.|
|Windows users are not allowed to change their source code.||Linux is an open-source operating system Any developer can change its source code and distribute it.|
|Windows is a bit slower than Linux.||Linux is faster than windows.|
|Windows collects data from users which is not good for our privacy.||Linux distribution doesn’t collect users’ data. Linux is more secure than windows|
|Windows has very few customize options.||Linux is a customizable operating system.|
|In Windows, we cannot do commands like Linux.||Command-line is a very useful tool in Linux.|
|To solve a problem in Windows we need to reboot at run-level 3 as an administration to find and fix the problem.||Linux has an inbuilt ability to stop at different run levels with this we can work using the command line and GUI if anyone has an issue.|
|Windows gives the user a simple operating system to use but it takes longer to install.||Linux may be a bit shaky for its new user to install but it is capable of solving complex problems.|
|Windows update takes too long and the reboot is necessary after the update.||You can install Linux updates whenever you want and the update process is easy and Linux does not require a reboot after the update.|
|All hackers always target Windows users because if Windows does not have antivirus, it can be hacked very easily.||Linux is more secure than Linux. This operating is very difficult to break.|
What is the Linux Operating System?
The Linux operating system is a free and open-source operating system, which belongs to the Unix family and is based on the Linux Kernel. It was first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds. The Linux operating system provides the programming interface and user interface for the computer. The static user interface is based on Unix. Along with this, it also provides many different types of applications and software.
For your information, let us tell you that Unix, developed in the 1970s, was a system that does not require any license or proprietary code to use. You can modify its source code and customize it at your convenience. Linux was made by updating this in 1991. The Linux operating system is not preloaded on any computer. It has to be loaded after purchasing a computer.
What is Windows Operating System?
A licence is required to use the Windows operating system, and it cannot be modified by a normal user as access to its source code is not available. It is very easy for those people who do not have any knowledge of computer programming. Its user interface has also been made very easy, which means it can be understood by any normal user. Many computer devices have the Windows operating system pre-loaded.
Difference between Linux Operating System and Windows Operating System:
It is expected that you must have understood well the information about the operating system, its workings, the operating system, Linux operating system, and the Windows operating system. That is why below we are now going to explain to you the difference between the Linux operating system and the Windows operating system.
- Linux is a free and open source operating system whose source code is accessible. In contrast, Windows is a licenced or marketed operating system whose source code cannot be accessed.
- You do not need to buy a licence to use Linux, whereas a licence is required to use Windows. That’s why computers with Windows based operating systems are costlier than computers with Linux based operating systems.
- Linux operating system can be installed for free in any computer whereas Windows operating system comes preloaded in any computer.
- As we told you, that Linux is an open-source operating system and its source code can be accessed. If you can access the source code, you can improve it too. Apart from this, normal users of the Windows operating system can not modify the source code. Any kind of change in this can be done by the company itself.
- Linux provides more security and provides you with more features as compared to Windows, because it is a type of open source operating system. Apart from this, the Windows operating system provides less security.
- The Linux operating system cannot be booted from a primary or logical partition, whereas it can be done in Windows.
- A backslash is used to separate a directory in Windows, while a forward slash is used to separate a directory in Linux.
- The name of any file in the Linux operating system is case-sensitive. Apart from this, file names are insensitive in Windows.
- Linux takes up more space due to the use of Linux monolithic kernel, whereas the Windows operating system takes up less space due to the use of its microkernel.
- The efficiency of the Linux operating system is higher than the efficiency of Windows operating system.
In this article, we have explained to you the difference between Linux operating system and Windows operating system in detail. Hope you liked this article written by us. Share this information with as many people as possible. To read similar articles, keep visiting our website regularly and make sure to bookmark it.